Local buses while traveling
Before you go, you can research local buses.
Some US cities have free bus service and I'm not going to make a list here because that is subject to change and I have no plans to make this a high maintenance project where I need to check stuff like that and try to keep it up to date.
I recommend you go to the website for the local bus system for your information. That will be the most accurate and up to date.
If you are new in town or just visiting and not familiar, the primary benefit of the bus system being free is logistically there's no hoops to jump through to use it. You don't need to figure out how and where to get tickets or how much cash to carry etc.
You just find your stop and get on the bus. Done.
Some bus systems are exact change only. Others, you can pay with a twenty dollar bill and get your change in the form of a reusable ticket.
You can try to look up online how payment works in that regard but those details aren't always clearly spelled out on their website.
Some systems have various online payment apps. If you are traveling, local bus fare isn't a big expense compared to Uber or taxis, but finding a physical ticket office and arranging tickets can be a hassle. If there's an online app for it, that's almost as good as free, logistically speaking.
Some bus systems do a better job than others of providing announcements of stops en route via both spoken and written descriptions. I'm seriously handicapped and that stuff matters to me.
I use Google maps on my phone and watch the bus on the map on my phone the entire time if I haven't been on the route at least a few times already. Some buses have WiFi on board to help make that a lighter burden on your data.
I try to keep my phone charged and have data at all times expressly for this purpose. With eyesight and mobility problems, I need some repetition and extra information to learn a new route adequately for my needs.
Some bus drivers are very knowledgeable and helpful. I'm good with talking with people and that's always an easy answer for me when it works.
If it's a small town, it may work to tell the driver "I don't see well. I don't know this route. I need to get off at (intersection or stop description)."
That doesn't typically work in bigger cities with longer routes and more riders. Rely on your phone in bigger cities. They can't keep track of that in that situation.
Do not hesitate to let them know "I have mobility issues. I need out the front door." I've never been hassled about that.
Sometimes, the back door works for me. But not always.
Comments
Post a Comment